Join our friendly team as a Pharmacist at CRG Medical Services based in HMP Prison, Chelmsford.
Working as a clinical pharmacist leading the delivery of a comprehensive clinical pharmacy and medicines management service. The services include Primary Care, Secondary Mental Health and Substance Misuse Services for patients across the local prison.
You will work Monday – Friday 08:00 – 18:00
- To provide medicines management leadership through the supervision and development of prison pharmacy technicians and dispensers
- To identify and resolve quality issues by the use of an agreed audit schedule
- To participate in the writing of SOP’s and policies required by the department
- The lead pharmacist is a senior manager within the prison team and will be expected to participate in the on call rota and/or remote prescribing as required
- Providing advice to prescribers to in helping to resolve clinical and legal problems
- Regular reviews of the use of all medicines and clinical pharmacy services and assistance in the review of prison policies
- Using prescribing data, advise clinicians on best practice to ensure evidence-based cost-effective prescribing.
- Analyse symptoms described by presenting patients and recommend appropriate over the counter medicines or referral to a GP.
- Communicate effectively with patients, including those who are foreign nationals and patients with poor levels of communication so as to ensure the safe and effective use of prescribed and over the counter medicines.
- Contribute to multidisciplinary clinical meetings, promoting the safe and cost effective use of medicines
- Provide expert pharmaceutical advice, guidance and support to the Drug & Therapeutics group.
- Dispensing and supply of medications
- Ensure effective communication between all staff and provide advice and support to healthcare staff on pharmaceutical matters.
- Medicines procurement ensuring cost-effectiveness and supply continuity
- Monitoring of medicines storage conditions and expiry dates
- Suppling medicines ‘in-possession’ wherever possible and according to risk assessment
- Facilitate the administration of non-possession medication to assessed high risk patients
- Ensuring the safe and secure transport of medicines within the prison, including controlled drugs
- Ensuring the safe, secure and timely disposal of unwanted and out of date medicines
- Monitoring of wastage of pharmaceutical products
- Support the implementation and monitoring of the Integrated Drug Treatment System for substance misuse clients
- Ensure actions taken on recall notices, medical alerts, market withdrawals and major changes in the availability of pharmaceuticals to ensure continuity of supply, including advising clinicians on appropriate alternative therapy.
- Contribute to the planning and development of pharmacy service
- Ensure adherence to Controlled Drugs regulations by effective communication across the prison
- Manage and provide professional supervision of the pharmacy technicians
- Take all reasonable measures to ensure that the risks of harm to vulnerable adults are minimised
- Take all appropriate actions to address concerns, working to agreed local policies and procedures including the guidance on Safeguarding, in partnership with other relevant agencies. This includes accessing appropriate training, advice and support
- Use and encourage others to adopt appropriate infection control procedures, reporting any potential risks.
- Responsible for staff supervision and appraisal
- Undertake investigations and provide reports
- Involved with the disciplinary process if required
The Ideal Candidate
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
- You will be a fully qualified pharmacist registered with the GPhC
- Ability to build and develop relationships
- Must be confident and capable of autonomous practice and able to work independently
- To act as a patients advocate in a non-judgemental manner
Essential Experience / Qualifications
- All candidates are subject to prison vetting checks
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi professional team within a fast-paced environment
- Experience in a Prison environment
- Experience of working as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Free DBS
- Support with the revalidation for Nurses
- Additional funded training opportunities available upon application
- £100 a month (pro rata) towards your parking at the prison
- Refer a friend scheme worth £250
About the Company
We have experience delivering solutions for Police Forces, ranging from some of the most rural areas in the country to heavily urbanised populations.
We work closely with our police partners and other stakeholders across the secure healthcare market to provide high quality, innovative solutions in this challenging environment.
Our work allows us to help some of the most vulnerable members of society, reaching a number of patients who may otherwise receive no professional healthcare support.